ONE ROOM CHALLENGE – WEEK 1
Today marks the official kickoff for the Fall 2019 One Room Challenge and I couldn’t be more thrilled to be selected as one of twenty Featured Designers.
The One Room Challenge isn’t a design competition. It’s an event created by Linda Weinstein of Calling it Home that allows design enthusiasts to get a peek into the transformation process of any room makeover via weekly blog posts.
The ORC has become wildly popular since its start and has garnered attention from national brands who’ve opted to get in on the action as a sponsor. Smart!!! Better Homes and Gardens is the official media sponsor and will also be providing coverage. It’s a pretty big deal.
So which will I be transforming in six short weeks? Drumroll please…
T H E K I T C H E N !!!!
When I shared my commitment with Chris, my husband, there was first silence then the excitement caught on.
Aside from the fact that kitchens and bathrooms are some of the most cumbersome spaces to remodel, we are a busy family of seven—and a dog so this creates a bit of inconvenience. However, I promised everyone it’ll be all worthwhile in the end—six weeks from now.
We’ve got this!
This is the current state of our not-so-ordinary kitchen.. The room encompasses a breakfast area as well as a keeping room complete with a fireplace.
So how do I plan to flip this room in six weeks?
- We plan to use the existing cabinetry with some major modifications. I’ve opted to remove some of the upper cabinets. Crazy idea to eliminate storage when we have such a large bunch but in the 10 years that we’ve lived here, we’ve barely touched most of the items in those cabinets. Along with the cabinets, which are in great shape, the entire kitchen will receive a well-deserved professional paint job.
- We’re replacing existing lights and installing new lights in some areas.
- New countertops are on the horizon. The solid surface top here has served us well and have been great training grounds for allowing the older kids to experiment in the kitchen.
- A backsplash is on the way. I had yet to install one because I’d planned earlier to replace the countertops. Then life happened and they were no longer a priority until now!
- Our appliances are moving to a rental property and we are replacing them with appliances I received from a client who preferred a different brand. I felt like we’d won the lottery!
- The fireplace is actually two sided. On the other side is our great room. The mantel on this side will be replaced and will coordinate with the new custom millwork around the doorway.
- We’ll refinish the existing hardwood floors.
- The existing table will stay. We eat breakfast and dinner together here each day and I love that there’s still room for more when we have guests.
- The area under the window is still to be determined. I thought about a window seat but maybe prefer two separate chairs in that space. If you have an opinion, then leave it in the comments!
This is quite an ambitious project but it can and will be done. Thanks in advance for your well wishes.
Want to see what the others are up to? Check out the links below!!